Wedding Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thanksgiving: Day 19

Okay...this one may be a little strange...I'm thankful for my dad's ability to "stick".  I use this term in the medical sense.  When people get their blood drawn or have an IV started, the medical personnel "sticks" them.  Dad has always been "a good stick".  I remember one time I was at the doctor's office to get some blood work done.  I was maybe in high school, if I remember correctly.  Anyway, the nurse stuck me about ten times until I fainted (I'm a fainter when I give blood for some reason.  The sight of blood doesn't bother me at all.  I think it has some subconscious thing about my skin getting pierced.)  Anyway, I got very angry because she stuck me so many times and "dug" for veins.  I yelled at her to get Daddy out of the waiting room.  She went and got him and I told him that she was incompetent and that he should try to stick me instead.  Before she really could object, he found a vein and stuck me the first time with no problems (and without me fainting again).  It was great.

My sister had a recent experience like this.  Many of you may know that my sister was admitted into the hospital tonight with a 3 mm kidney stone.  After she was admitted, the nurse prepared to start an IV on her.  Apparently, she couldn't find a vein and she said that she was "not used to sticking young ones".  Thankfully, Daddy was there and was able to stick her and start the IV as to not put Christie into too much more pain.  So, yea, a little odd, but I am thankful that Daddy is a good stick because he has saved my sister, my mom (I think), and me from horrible sticks!

No comments: