Wedding Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 7: Welcome to Hong Kong!

Early this morning we arrived at the airport to catch our flight to Hong Kong. Our flight was only 2 hours. We arrived here around lunch time. I’m currently sitting in our hotel room, which is…well…interesting. First, I want to say that it’s been over two years since I’ve slept in a twin size bed, and even then I was sleeping in an extra long twin size bed. Our hotel room is about half of the size of my kitchen back in Johnson City; I know many of you can picture that because you’ve been in my house!  The bathroom is very small, smaller than my half bath at the house and it has a shower in it. I’m a little bit surprised at the hotel. The service is ok as far as I can tell so far. The lady who was supposed to meet us at the airport to take us to the hotel just kinda stood around under Daddy finally asked her a question simply because she wasn’t doing anything. We didn’t even know she was the one we were looking for! Oh well. I guess I’m just super spoiled by my previous stays in luxury hotels (because they are so affordable internationally) and by my current job. (Carnegie crew, the room that my sister and I are sharing is smaller than our bathrooms at the hotel. No joke!)

So, after getting checked into the hotel, we started walking around trying to find a tailor to make suits for the guys. We were all told that the suits would be so cheap and that they were all hand tailored. Well…needless to say…after walking around we have yet to find a suit place that is cheaper than $1500 HKD ($200 USD). So, I guess we are just looking in the wrong place.

Our hotel room overlooks a park, which we visited very briefly. Let’s just say, after studying Zen Buddhism for my Ancient Religions class and being with a philosophy minor student and a graduate holding a History degree, it was a bit difficult to completely take in the beauty of it all with a camera and video camera constantly looking for “Kodak moments”. We, and I mean the students/recent grads, will probably go back before we leave to really take it all in. One thing that I did get to notice is many men playing mahjong in the park. We got to look at one of the tables just to see what it was all about. I would really like to get some mahjong tiles as a souvenir. Hopefully I can get some when we take our tour tomorrow.

Well, not too much left to say about today. It’s sprinkling (as the hotel staff here said, “freshly showering”) right now. We will go eat dinner soon and then probably come back here to rest. So, goodnight!

P.S. You will probably be reading this post later this week because internet, even through an Ethernet cord, is about $5 USD/hour! Poor Christie has to finish some homework for her online class, so we will have to pay some money for her to do that. 

Tip #7: Check to see what you are actually getting. We could have done a little more research about where we were staying. I didn’t realize that there is an InterContinental hotel here in Hong Kong, which I could have gotten using my employee discount, and we would have had a little bit nicer (larger) of a room. This is the same for the internet situation.

Tip #8: Don’t take an online class when you are planning on leaving the country for a mission trip. (I’m not trying to pick on Christie here. It would just have given her a little more peace of mind if she didn’t have to worry that she has to have some stuff due in a couple days where we have to pay for internet.)

No comments: